The castle of Fighine is located in one of the most scenic spots of San Casciano dei Bagni; it lies on a high ridge and dominates the whole southern part of the Val di Chiana, extending its view over most of Umbria. Its strategic position of control over ancient borders has always made it attractive to various state entities. Mentioned for the first time in a 1058 document, it appears in the edict of Federico II of Svevia, who assigns it to the Counts of Campiglia. After various wars, the Pope donated it to the Manenti family. In 1446 the Republic of Siena took control of the castle and it underwent expansion and reinforcement works, later interrupted in 1451 due to the occupation of papal troops. Only the intervention of Pope Pius II in 1467 in favour of Siena slowed the continuous succession of sieges and occupations that had decimated the population, to such an extent that Siena was forced to let new citizens move here and repopulate it like a colony.
In that period the castle was built as we see it today, with the two main towers and the half-round tower that were added to the ancient and mighty old tower. Other quadrangular and semi-circular towers protected the walls to defend the village. In the meantime, the castle had become the institutional and religious centre for the nearby community of Palazzone. In 1606 Grand Duke Ferdinando I established the Feudo di Fighine and given to the Marchesi del Bufalo who kept it until the early 19th century. With the growth of Palazzone, the village of Fighine became gradually depopulated due to a new settlement on its slopes. Today, after careful restoration, the village has returned to new life, and it is one of the treasures in the territory of San Casciano dei Bagni.
Atius modignam sam coreseq uibus, everibus dolent, con cum quate sitios simus. La earchic aboratem. Et eium sit audant mi, tendae cor aut eationse nimpellab inis int. Alic te vitae perum nobis delenda alit eum rati ipsum abores aut eos sus.